Skip to main content

“Cream” of vegetable soup in the blender

(YES, I’m still on that veggie kick.) It was too cold for a green smoothie, so I was looking through the Blendtec recipe book and thought I’d try the “soups” setting. They have a handful of soup recipes, but I took the Raw Vegetables soup and altered it.

We got beets and beet greens in our organic co-op, so I used the pressure cooker to cook them (you could probably use the microwave or a regular pot but I had my pressure cooker out already because I’d recently made chicken stock with it). I also threw in some fennel and leeks with the beets and beet greens. You could throw in whatever veggies you happen to have in the fridge. Even a mix of veggies would probably taste good in this.

Then I threw some chopped garlic in the blender (I should have added it with the veggies when I cooked them but I forgot) along with 2 cups of chicken stock. I added the veggies plus one tomato and hit the “soups” button.

A minute later, I had “cream” of vegetable soup! And it was low fat! And I got something like 5 servings of veggies in the entire batch!

It made about 4 cups of soup, and I drank the entire batch. According to, the entire batch was only 300 calories. It was a little watery so I might try adding less chicken stock next time.

I added cumin, salt and pepper but you can add whatever spices or herbs you want. Next time I might try curry powder. Do you guys have any suggestions?


Popular Posts

No Cold Bums toilet seat cover

Captain's Log, Stardate 08.22.2008 I actually wrote out my pattern! I was getting a lot of hits on my infamous toilet seat cover , and I wanted to make a new one with “improvements,” so I paid attention and wrote things down as I made the new one. This was originally based off the Potty Mouth toilet cover , but I altered it to fit over the seat instead of the lid. Yarn: any worsted weight yarn, about 120 yards (this is a really tight number, I used exactly 118 yards. My suggestion is to make sure you have about 130 yards.) I suggest using acrylic yarn because you’re going to be washing this often. Needle: I used US 8, but you can use whatever needle size is recommended by the yarn you’re using. Gauge: Not that important. Mine was 4 sts/1 inch in garter stitch. 6 buttons (I used some leftover shell buttons I had in my stash) tapestry needle Crochet hook (optional) Cover: Using a provisional cast on, cast on 12 stitches. Work in garter st until liner measures

I joined Sweet Romance Reads!

I just joined Sweet Romance Reads, a group of authors who all write sweet romances in a variety of sub-genres. I’m friends with several of the authors from my days writing for Harlequin/Love Inspired, so it’s nice to be able to join their group. If you’re on Facebook, this is their Facebook page , and this is their Facebook group . I posted my introductory post yesterday on the Sweet Romance Reads blog (Blogger), where I listed three strange things about me. Click here to read the post, and tell me three strange things about you!

Year of the Dog serial novel

About Year of the Dog : A month or two ago, I remembered an old manuscript I had completed but which hadn’t sold. It was a contemporary romance meant for Zondervan, titled Year of the Dog . The book had gone into the pipeline and I even got another title ( Bad Dog ) and a cover for it, but eventually my editor at the time decided she didn’t want to publish it, for various reasons. She instead requested a romantic suspense, and so I cannibalized some of the characters from Year of the Dog and thrust them into the next book I wrote, which was Protection for Hire . Honestly, I didn’t take a lot from Year of the Dog to put in Protection for Hire , aside from character names and a few relationship ties. I was originally thinking I’d post Year of the Dog as-is on my blog as a free read, but then it occurred to me that I could revamp it into a romantic suspense and change the setting to Hawaii. It would work out perfectly as (yet another) prequel to the Warubozu series and introduce